The railroad played a major role in the development of Piedmont bringing supplies to and from St. Louis, the region and to the south.
The second major turning point in the destiny of Piedmont occurred in 1868. From New York a decision was handed down to extend the track of the St. Louis Iron Mountain and Southern railway all the way to the Arkansas state line.
The initial route of the railway changed several times. But in 1871, Thomas Allen the Vice-president of the railroad company came to Danielsville hoping to make a real-estate deal to monopolize upon the arrival of the train. He contacted the Daniel brothers. The property Allen wanted to purchase belonged to James Daniel who found the offer too risky.
Returning later that year Thomas Allen was fortunate to work out a deal with William Daniel. William purchased the property from his brother and then held the note on the property. Allen divided up the acreage into business lots who in turn sold it at a price that was profitable to both Thomas and William. Located across the McKenzie Creek from Danielsville, Allen renamed this new town Piedmont.
Hence the railroad rush of 1871 had started. Construction crews reached the city and the economy boomed with railroad workers, farmers and new businesses all flocking to the area. Almost overnight Piedmont was up and running at full speed. The only thing the newly finished rail needed now was a train.